Project Linus UK


For some time I have been aware of the fantastic organisation, Project Linus UK.  They are volunteer-led and aim to provide a sense of security and comfort to sick and traumatised babies, children and teenagers through the provision of homemade patchwork quilts and knitted/crocheted blankets.  Volunteers across the UK donate their work, which is delivered to hospitals, hospices and other organisations by a network of local coordinators.

I recently made my first quilt for Project Linus UK and have had a wonderful experience.  I received a thank you note from my local coordinator along with a photo of the quilt packaged up and ready for delivery.  The coordinator in my area logs all quilts and if a recipient family sends a thank you note or photo after the quilt is gifted they are able to share that with the person who made it.  My quilt was recently delivered to the Royal United Hospital in Bath and I very much hope that it will soon be giving comfort to a small person in need.  Knowing that my work can make an impact for a local child is a wonderful feeling. 

Back of my recently donated quilt


I am already working on my next quilt for Project Linus and am currently writing my first quilt pattern which I will be dedicating to this wonderful organisation.  I have also started to talk with my local coordinator about other ways in which I can support this venture in my area and am cooking up some fundraising ideas.  I am excited to be attending a quilting day for the Bath and Wells area of Project Linus at Midsomer Quilting on 28 May and urge anyone local who can sew to come along and help.  Donations of/towards the purchase of fabric, wadding and fleece are also gratefully received – even if you don’t sew!  

 
The lovely photo I received from Linda showing me the packaged quilt ready for delivery to the RUH in Bath


Comments