Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2017


Sunflower Side Shoot
Over the past few months I have been participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day hosted by May Dreams Gardens.  This is a once-a-month snapshot at what is blooming in the garden.  Here is my offering for August 2017 from my little garden in the South West of England.

Hydrangea




When I bought the above hydrangea I thought it was white, indeed it was last year after I planted it but this year it has beautiful pink edges to the white flowers.

Fuchsia



I bought the above fuchsia at the Cardiff flower show back in April.  It hasn't grown very big but the blooms are stunning.

Sunflower



This sunflower is just starting to bloom.  It is a bit hard to photograph at over 8 feet tall but not bad considering it grew out of my homemade compost originally.

Moonlight Runner Bean

My moonlight runner beans are a little slower to bloom than the other varieties in the garden but they are finally there and are covered in beautiful flowers that are certainly attracting the bees.

Nigella Seed Pod



Although this is not strictly a bloom I couldn't resist sharing the beautiful seed pods of the nigella flowers.  I actually think I prefer the pods to the flowers themselves and am hoping to successfully dry some for the house over the winter.

Sweet Pea and Homegrown Flower Bouquet


Finally I couldn't resist a nod to my sweet peas.  They have done incredibly well this year and are still blooming.  Every time I pick them now I can't helping feeling that it might be my last lot of the season.  The above is a little bouquet I gifted to my Nan on Saturday for her 87th Birthday.

Many thanks again Carol for hosting this link-up.  I am really loving participating each month.  




Comments

  1. I love your flower bouquet! You combined the flowers so nicely - the seed pods look great in combination with the flowers. What a wonderful present! I envy you for your beautiful sweet peas. I also grown some sweet peas from seed this year, but unfortunately they haven´t been doing well at all. It was unusually hot and dry this summer in Austria and I think this is why they don´t thrive. I can really imagine that your sweet peas have been doing very well in your garden. I was on a garden vacation in England in June this year and I was impressed by the many beautiful sweet peas I saw there. I also bought many sweet pea seeds and hope they will do better in my garden next year. Would be wonderful to also have a homegrown flower bouquet with sweet peas next year.
    Enjoy your lovely garden!
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your lovely comments Lisa and good luck with your sweet peas in the future

      Delete
  2. I was impressed with your HUGE sunflower! Wow! Also, I have Nigella seed pods but did not realized you could dry them for flower arrangements. I have always just crushed them for seeds. Thanks for that information and for sharing on GBBD.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jeannie. I'm trying to gather a few dried things ready to add interest in the winter. I really miss having lots of cut flowers in the winter month and try not to buy too many supermarket flowers.

      Delete

Post a Comment